Friday, December 18, 2009

Medieval tile floor finished

One of the most absorbing aspects of this project, besides the hand work required, which I enjoy, is the research needed to come up with a miniature and theatrical version of a medieval dollhouse castle being lived in by early Tudor-era people.

Learning about medieval flooring has been a real pleasure, and I'm terribly happy that my miniature tile floor is all finished.

Overall, I'm pleased with the effect, particularly from a distance.  Close up, one can tell that the owners of this castle hired blind apprentice tile makers back in the 12th century :)

I think I'll make that part of the story ...





The yellow ochre glaze I used really helped to tie things together.  Then I used a burnt umber glaze to pick out some of the tiles and to muddy things up a bit in general.



There's no grout.  There perhaps should be -- some of the gaps are pretty big!




3 comments:

  1. Oh, what a wonderful work! It´s really great.

    Lotti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Lotti! It was really satisfying to see it come together, and it whets my appetite for more projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the medieval tile on main floor. It's so colourful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails