I rolled up my sleeves and did some wiring this morning, and tidied up the Great Hall, so I want to show you what things look like right now.
(The empty window holes are still driving me crazy -- I MUST do something about them ... grr ...)
I hung the new chandelier, and I wired in my homemade rustic bracket sconce, and it works! Huzzah!
Here's the aumbry -- I haven't put on the hinges and the little doodad that holds the door closed because ... I lost them :( So the door is just wedged in there :) But I'm really pleased with the way the finishing worked out. It's mahogany, and I didn't want it to look like mahogany, because that's just not even close to being period. So I stained it with oak, which toned down the red, and I varnished it with a mixture of varnish and some raw umber, and then I aged it a bit with some black brushed on, especially at the bottom. It really brings out the extra rustic carving I did :) I think Tom's fruit bowl looks super on top! I'm really pleased that I bought the kit -- it was the most expensive single item I bought in England (30 GPB) but it's totally worth it for such an iconic piece.
Oh, and a package arrived for me yesterday from eBay seller rowan307 -- a set of hand decorated wooden tableware suitable for Medieval/Tudor settings. I really like it!
Guest Blogger For July, Beautiful Lawn Chairs Made from Card Stock! - Hello Everyone! I hope you all are having a wonderful summer. I received the picture above a few weeks ago and thought these "steel" lawn chairs were...
1 day ago