Saturday, December 11, 2010

Blue and White Room inspiration!

As I work my way towards the Blue and White Room on the first floor of the William and Mary House, I'm collecting some inspirational photos.

Last year David and my Mum and I visited Chatsworth in Derbyshire, where there is a spectacular collection of 17th century Chinese and Dutch pottery, including some stunning tulipieres or specialized tulip vases.

We didn't manage to take a picture of this particular scene, but I've borrowed this photo from the lovely blog austenonly.com


I love the arrangement of the blue and white tulip vases in front of the fireplace, and I'm totally stealing this for the WAM House!

I've got a couple of smallish tulipieres that just arrived -- I'll post photos of them when I get a chance -- and I'm going to try my hand at making a couple of large pyramidal ones from polymer clay.  Should be a challenge :)

Then I'm going to have to learn to make tulips!  Fortunately there's a great tutorial on making 1:12 scale tulips at about.com:  Making Mini Tulips by Lesley Shepherd, Canadian miniaturist, garden designer and kit maker.

7 comments:

  1. Chatsworth is just wonderful. I have a little tulipiere for The Tenement and I wish you luck making a large one - they're absolutely stunning.

    Hunting for inspiration is half the fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina! I am in awe of anyone who can make minis from ploymer clay! Your blue and white room is sure to be stunning. I can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene: oooh, I'd love to see your tulipiere! I love everything you've collected for the Tenenment ...

    Daydreamer: well, we'll have to wait and see if it looks like a tulipiere or a piece of modern art. With holes in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so glad you liked my tulipiere pictures.I adore them,and would love one but alas,the price! Chatsworth had so many -I lost count at 8-but I took many more pictures, so if you'd like some more to help you recreate one,do contact me, and I'll gladly send them along:)

    Good luck!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Julie: Thanks so much for writing! I hope you were okay with my posting your photo ... I'm a huge Austenite and was thrilled to find your website just for that reason, but the photos of the Chatsworth tulipieres made me extra happy :) I'm going to keep my eyes peeled when I visit stores like Homesense for modern copies of tulipieres, because I've decided I need one in full scale, and, like you, couldn't afford an antique :)

    Heck, I can't afford most 1:12 scale ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nine, I've put a post and pics on my Tenement blog for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, absolutely fine with it. If you ever find some reasonably priced tulipieres, please do let me in on it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails