Wednesday, January 12, 2011

First wall in the Blue and White Room


I find it really helpful to photograph things in process -- for some reason I can be more dispassionate looking at a photo rather than at the scene itself.  (The macro setting is amazing, isn't it -- I keep finding all sorts of infelicities when I examine things close up :)) Looking at this first wall, I think I want framing over the mantle, too.  Looks a little bare.  Should I "marble" the fireplace or leave it be, I wonder? 

The colour, Stuart Gold, looks paler than I thought it would -- it's certainly a little too pale for the period.  But I think it's pretty, so here's another place where historical accuracy will take a back seat to "but I like it!" :)

I've got a McQueenie's fireplace screen kit, so I'm busy designing a Chinese-themed blue/white/gold petit point pattern for it!

And I still need to go down to the workshop and cut those walls!

10 comments:

  1. You're making a lovely job of this Nina. I like your panelling - very effective. It's all going to look marvellous and I'm enjoying following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Irene! I really appreciate your comments. I do think the dead white fireplace looks a little stark, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nina! Yes, marbleize the fireplace! If you don't like it you can always repaint the white! And I agree that the paneling should also go over the mantle. It is interesting how each thing we add to a picture changes the whole... sometimes in ways we didn't imagine! I love seeing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all your ideas, I also find the white fireplaces a bit lifeless shall we say, I was thinking this morning that you need a chinesy blue and white embroidery for it, so enjoy and can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes, Daydreamer -- I keep forgetting that what I change with paint I could change BACK with paint :) Thank you!

    And, yes, Elga --it is lifeless, isn't it? Okay, now I need to practise my marbelling!

    And I'm having fun with my design for the firescreen :) In fact, I'm working on it right now, rather than going and doing some shopping before a forecast blizzard hits us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right - a little bit of marbling would make all the difference to the fireplace - it would lift it, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got my little batty goodies last week! Thank you SOOO... much! I love them! Check out my post http://www.notahousefordolls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. The room is lovely, I like the colour of the walls and yes, the fireplace is too white but this room is growing so well that this is just a minor aspect. I love your tulip jar and your china.I shall look forward to your fire screen. Rosanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. The right distance helps to see things in better perspective, sharpens the critical sense ... The camera lens filters out reality, but also reveals, in a sense ... In short: the room is beautiful! I can not wait to see the fender :-)
    Mini hugs, Flora

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning room. The colors are so perfect. I really love blue.

    house and lot for sale philippines

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails