Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Library almost done

 
This is now the Library (even though it's only got one bookshelf at the moment :)) This may be my new favourite room!  I glued everything together, yesterday, all the components of the staircase.  It was a little fiddly getting the bookcase and the bits of wood around it aligned, but it all worked out in the end.  Then I framed it in, stained it all, and let it dry. 
The floor is made from a sheet of premade wooden flooring, which I cut to fit the room.  It was DEAD easy!  I'm glad I left the left-hand wall unglued -- it's much easier to measure and cut the sheet of wood if you've got one wall that's moveable.   I didn't bother backing the wood (beyond the backing it came on, which is a bit like heavy waxed paper), and I didn't glue it down, in case I have to get to the light fixture for the hallway below.   It took the stain brilliantly.  Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
 I grabbed a handful of books from the Castle library to try them out here -- even though some are quite fine and others are just my bodged up leather covered ones, the overall effect is really pleasing.  Ever wish you could curl up in one of your miniature rooms?  I had that feeling yesterday night :)

Mind you, someone needs to dust that chair :)

I just need to finish the panelling and cut and frame a window, and the Library is DONE!

7 comments:

  1. Such a great idea to put book shelves under the stairs. The room looks very nice. Natalia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful! I love that premade wood flooring - it really is so easy to use! Great job on the staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right to be pleased with yourself. it's a lovely room. It was an inspired idea to inset the bookcase and the overall look is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Natalia -- I've always wanted a bookcase under stairs, and now I've got one :)

    Thank you, otterine -- it's my first time with the premade wooden flooring -- it was definitely worth the initial expense, because it saves so much time and looks very good!

    Thanks, Irene! That's high praise, coming from one of my favourite miniaturists -- your interiors are always atmospheric and magical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had a place like that in my "real" house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this room, Nina! The enclosed staircase is Brilliant... with the shelves built in it is so tidy and well thought out! So many of the houses I have lived in had bookshelves in the hallway... sometimes the only place there was room! And the stained wood looks great with that carpet! (I'm glad you had some books left for your shelves.....:) I LOVE the bunch you sent me!) I know wht you mean about wanting to climb right in.....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! You did a beautiful job. It is making me excited to finish my Glencroft - I want the living room to have this feel to it.

    By the way, my 5-year old daughter says "easy peasy, lemon squeezy"... Cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails