Sunday, February 5, 2012

Ruth's Cottage

On Thursday, at Knitwits, 14 year old Ruth worked on her 1/12 scale cottage.  We had cut the base (1/2 inch plywood) to size and she had cut out the three walls from 1" thick foam late last year.  On Thursday she cut windows in the foam, scored the wooden base for floorboards, stained the base and painted the downstairs walls.  Then she glued the walls to the base and to each other.  Here's how it looks:



This foam and plywood construction is excellent -- I'm using it for my William and Mary era house, but it's just perfect for younger miniaturists, because they can do so much of the cutting (under supervision) with Olfa cutters/craft knives. It's also very inexpensive -- one large sheet of foam costs less than $20, and you can get many little cottages out of it!

The cottage will have ground floor and an attic.  Ruth is looking forward to making miniature rag rugs for it!

4 comments:

  1. Nina, I think I am going to have to try my hand at these Foam Walls!
    Ruth's House looks very Cozy and she has done a great job so far! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous project - Go Ruth!! I'm going to enjoy watching progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project! It's getting beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys! I'll make sure to pass your comments on to her ... There's something very satisfying about working on a very small project, and being able to build it quickly :) Especially after working on seemingly-never-ending houses ...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails